Sunday, October 12, 2008

Security Blanket = Story Time

When I was little, my mom read to me constantly! However, the stories she read were not just fairy tales to me. I was an only child, which made me develop a rather large imagination. I had two half-brothers, but they were much older then me. Therefore, they were never really in the house when I was in my storytelling prime. I had no one to share things with and that led to me getting sick of all my toys sooner then most kids. My stuffed animals had pretty short shelf lives, and I began to take different things to bed with me at night. Those things, I will add, became my books. I did not only become instantly soothed with the stories, but the books themselves. My array of children's books such as When Emily Woke Up Angry, Pickle Things (my all time favorite), and many others, became my bed time companions. The books were physically my security blanket. It must have been the musty scent of the paperbacks, or maybe the chemical aroma of the ink on the page, but I would drift away into dream land every night with a hard rigid book wrapped in my arms. (Strange isn't it!!!!!) I have found through experiences like these that books are not just crucial to this world for their stories, but by their importance of just being there. Books, in a physical sense, represent an innate presence of knowledge. Without this presence, our culture would be strictly oratorical. We would be stuck in the stone age. A world without books would be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!!!! (If I may speak so mundanely.)

No comments: