Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Granite Gentleman: Displaced Myth

At the bottom, not in my ship’s bay,
Salvage me now; I’m lost to this day.
Lightening bolts struck, in the abyss
I shall eternally stay in blue-azure bliss.

What shall I do in the depths of this land?
When all I have to look at is sand?
Nobody here to catch my rustic everlasting stare,
That, I don’t know if I can bear…

She rushes by, and envies my chiseled state
Could she want to be my mate?
How could we though, I’m made of rock,
And she of rosy flesh, born from royal stock.

She see’s me though, and plants me well.
Crimson flora surrounds me in her private cell,
She comes here often to think of other places,
Where people walk, and smile at familiar faces.

I heard her talking once, of birds in the trees.
She always sighed, mimicked them floating in the breeze.
At fifteen she could go to view,
Upon the arrival of the midnight dew.

Because she was the youngest of them all,
She waited for all five to go and fall.
The first fell in love with the city lights and sparkling night skies,
The second basked in the early dawn’s sunrise.

Sister three frolicked in the woods and hills.
Sister four kept her distance, she wasn’t much for thrills.
Sister five arose in the bitter cold.
She loved the floating diamond molds.

As storms swept over their heads,
Their world cluttered with fallen dead.
To ease them into their next life,
They sang sweetly to calm the men’s deathly strife.

My love, however, stayed behind.
She cried being so young and delicate of mind.
As soon as I am fifteen years of age,
I will ascend to the top of the great blue sage.

Her grandmother dressed her beautiful and fair,
She was stunning with white lilies in her hair.
My love did not much care for her new look.
She’d rather pick a rose to wear from my place in her flowery nook.

She bid farewell and kissed me goodbye.
I missed her deeply already, but somehow couldn’t cry.
I sat alone and waited for her to come back.
When she did, I would be back on track.

I wish I was with her when she made her save.
Something happed to her with my twin brother, that filthy nave.
When she came back she asked me to be him.
The thought of her loving him made me grim.

My mind was running mach five,
For the life of me I could not come alive.
I stood there in a frozen slate.
Motionless and mute was my fate.

I tried to chase her, uproot from the flower trap,
She was already gone to see the succubus in her death cap.
A rush of foamy dust spat in my face.
She eagerly left to that dangerous place.

She’s gone forever now.
A look of loneliness sits upon my brow.
Where did she go, my darling love?
Perhaps to places above as a beautiful white sea dove?

At the bottom, not in my ship’s bay,
Salvage me now; I’m lost to this day.
Lightening bolts struck, in the abyss
I shall eternally stay lonely in this blue-azure bliss.

~ A poem based on Hans Christian Anderson’s, “The Little Mermaid.” From the point of view of the statue of the prince. Copyright of Emily Lewis, 2008. :)

No comments: