Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Scariest Dream I have Ever Had

My grandpa passed away when I was a freshman in high school. He was the light of my life. I was the light of his, as I was his only grand child. He is responsible for getting me through college and has also allowed me to travel over the entire country. When he was alive, each summer we would go on vacation to places like Mexico, Washington D.C., Pensacola, FL., and many, many more.

The dream I will tell you about occurred when I was in my third year in college, so about 7 years after my grandpa passed away.

The dream was placed on a cruise ship. All of my mom's side of the family was there. It was our usual summer vacation with my grandpa Ray, Aunt Jane, Uncle Corky, Aunt Dena, and Uncle Jim, and my mom. My grandpa had just turned ninety the October before the summer we were in at the moment. Grandpa and I were exploring the cruise ship and he collapsed. I was trained in CPR and first aid from being a lifeguard that summer, so I began to revive him. I used a defib machine to shock his heart. Then I began to do CPR on him to get him to start breathing on his own again. With my family surrounding us, he began to breath again, but was still unconscious. But my final thoughts before my dream ended were fearful. I was scared that I waited too long to revive him and that he would have immense brain damage and would live as a vegetable the rest of his life. The dream ended and I woke up crying.

When I woke up crying, my instinct kicked in and I called my mom. She was taken back by the detail in my dream. It eerily paralleled the actual death of my grandpa. When he died he was on his way back to Chicago from Montana. It was a family tradition for him to come to Montana every year for Christmas. The last Christmas he was here, he was very sick. He had been sick for quite some time though. He told the doctors that he had really bad heart burn. He also had this idea that if vets could figure out what was wrong with animals without them talking, doctors could figure out what was wrong with him without him having to tell them. It is clear that the doctors never really understood the full extent of my grandpa's medical condition. Anyways, grandpa made it back home and went straight to the hospital. He was in there for about two weeks and passed away suddenly. The doctors were stunned because the morning of his death, he was playing games of a family card game called thirteen with my aunt and uncle. Nothing seemed to be wrong. He went into cardiac arrest and died of a stroke. When they did an autopsy of him, they found that he had been having mini-strokes for a long time and that serious heart damage had already been done before his heart attack.

When my mom and I were talking about all of this, it was very strange. I have never experienced any dream with such vivid detail and similarities compared to my life. The dream was telling me that it was a good thing that my grandpa died when he did, as his autopsy also revealed that he had cancer throughout his entire body. He would have had a miserable life ahead of him if he would have made it out of the stroke. It gives me the chills to think about this dream still...

No comments: